Friday, March 2, 2012

Next train trip booked!

So I haven't been posting much lately, because I haven't really been riding the train that much. But I am so excited to report that I have now booked my next cross country train trip for July!

I will be departing Seattle - King Street Station on Monday, July 16 on the Empire Builder. That train is two nights long, and then I will arrive in Chicago. After a few hour layover in Chicago, I will depart on the Lake Shore Limited again to travel to Springfield, MA. Hopefully we are on time to Springfield because after only about an hour layover there, I will take the stub train to Wallingford, CT which is where my in-laws live. So this train will be one full day and one night shorter than my previous trip, but it is much more direct.

The best part is that again I have used my amtrak guest rewards points to pay for the entire trip. The trip is 50,000 points and I actually booked it in two parts, SEA - TOL (Toledo, OH) for a two zone redemption and TOL - WFD for a one zone connection. This was necessary because at first I didn't have enough points for the whole trip, so I booked with points the first part and paid with cash for the second part. When I had enough points, I then called AGR and switched my paid reservation to a points reservation.

Additionally, I wanted this particular routing, and for some reason when one tries to book SEA - WFD, arrow (the amtrak software) forces one to take the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington, DC with a transfer to a NE regional train from DC to WFD. That is a long train ride on the regional up the coast, followed by a stub train trip from New Haven to WFD, so I was thrilled to be able to book the trip in two sections and thus achieve the routing I wanted, which means I get to ride in my private sleeper bedroom for 95% of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment