Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Triple Points Run to Philly

I just got off the phone with amtrak to confirm my upgrade for my trip on Friday. My husband and I will be heading to Philadelphia for a wedding. Armed with my 48 hour upgrade coupons that my husband received in his Select+ packet this year, I called 1800-USA-RAIL 48 hours before the trip. The call was completed and my first class seats were obtained in less than 5 minutes on the phone, and I even received an email confirmation of the switch.

Friday morning we will get up early and take the 66 into Boston. Then we'll hang out in the Club Acela for about an hour before boarding our train to Philadelphia. The reason for this madness is a) it will ensure we can grab one of our favorite tables for two and b) its triple points this week!  National Train Day is this Saturday, and in honor of it, amtrak is offering triple points this entire week. With this trip on Friday I will receive 750 points (BOS - PHL select city pair) x 3 = 2250 + S bonus (187) + 300 (PVD - BOS) + S bonus (25) = 2,762 points. Not bad for a fun day of riding trains!

While I am super excited for this wedding, I am slightly bummed to be missing out on the train day festivities. Unfortunately I won't have time to head over to 30th Street Station to view the private varnish, sleepers and other train car displays. However, if you love trains, check out www.nationaltrainday.com  to see if there is an event in your area this Saturday, May 12, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment