Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chicago


Well as the old adage goes, a late train only becomes later. Outside of Naperville, we had to wait for the westbound California Zephyr to pass on a stretch of single track. So we sat for around 45 minutes until it blazed past us and we continued on our way. Here are some pictures of the rural countryside west of Chicago. I think it's a mix of Iowa and Illinois. 

And then the city of Chicago:
I waited in the Metropolitan Lounge for a but and then decided to explore. I headed over to the Great Hall which was hosting an event and closed to the public. 
They let me take that picture of the ceiling - but you can see the pipe and drape blocking access. As you exit the great hall there is this sign:
And the best thing on the left - a counter with beer and cocktails to go!! 

My friend Noelle picked me up for dinner and we went to a Greek restaurant. I had a big yummy Greek salad and a gyros platter. It was a welcome respite from the amChow I had all week. 

We had a fabulous dinner catching up - I have missed her since she moved out here - and I was back in the metro lounge by 8 pm to wait for them to call the Lake Shore Limited, my third and final leg of my cross country odyssey. 

I got this nice shot of Union station when I returned:

The Lake Shore Limited is actually two trains in one - the 48 and the 448. It splits in Albany with the longer portion going to Penn Station in New York an a little train going to Boston. I have a room in the Boston sleeper, car 4820.  

The LSL normally boards around 8:15. We got an announcement that the train would be a little late and they called us at 9 pm to board. We were all led out of the lounge together and directed to our train. The Boston sleeper was at the very front of the train and it was a LONG walk to it. 

I boarded, dropped my stuff in my room and headed down to the dining car. I has to walk through two coaches, the lounge, three or four more coaches, and finally the dining car. My reward was a very nice cheese plate and a glass of wine. 

This is one of the amenities that Amtrak is cutting so this is the last week of the wine and cheese reception. I'm not sure what they will offer - if anything - on this train starting April 1st in place of this. 












No comments:

Post a Comment