Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Descending into Denver

After we left winter park, we passed a ski slope. 
Then we entered the Moffat Tunnel, which goes through the continental divide. It took us about 7 minutes to clear the tunnel. Then we waited on a siding for about 20 more minutes while a freight train went through. 

Just as the train for moving I was called to dinner, and the conductor told us to look out the left of the train for the best views. The good news is that I was in the dining car so I could see them. The bad news is that since I was at dinner I wasn't able to capture them to share with you all. 

We emerged from the tunnel into a scenic vista that was so powerful. Folks this right here so far has been the best scenery yet of all my train travels in our great nation. We descended down the side of the mountain, with each new curve showing something more beautiful than the one before. We went through tunnels and continued climbing down the mountain. Suddenly we rounded a corner and saw Denver in the valley below. I was able to grab this picture later but it does not so this beautiful vista any justice. 
It is hard to see but in the far off distance is the city rising up from the plains. 

I enjoyed dinner with the nice couple from upstate NY that I had shared lunch with and another woman traveling to Naperville. Here is the obligatory amSalad and amRoll. 
Then I had the steak. I asked for it rare and it came back RARE. Yum. 
For dessert I went with the cheesecake with fruit topping. This is the same dessert that I had on the Coast Starlight but the chef there took it out of the plastic bowl prior to serving it. 
I had a great time at dinner joking and laughing with my table mates and the crew. 

The crew in the dining car is Valerie, John and Liz. They have been great on this trip and they seem to have a very good system down for managing the crowds and getting us fed and the tables turned over. John heard about my selfie with Lamar so he got in on the action, too. 
Having a great crew can make a trip so much better, and I have been really impressed with this group. 

We rolled into Denver just as I got back to my room after dinner. 
Then we pulled off to the side and proceeded to back into Union Station in Denver. I believe this station is recently re-opened.  We passed Coors Field as we backed up, where the Rockies play. 
By the time we completed our back up operation it was 7 pm and we were now running late. I popped out to grab a few pictures. 
It looked like the platforms were brand new. They had a higher low level platform that didn't require use of the yellow stool to board the train. 

As soon as we pulled in a crew came by and washed the outsides of the windows of the train. It was a nice touch. 

As we sat in the station the sun began to set. The HEP cycled on and off a few times and I started to get a little nervous about lengthy stop. I pulled out the scanner and learned that maintainence was fixing a hot water issue with the sleepers. Since I had showered before bed yesterday I hadn't realized that was a problem today!

There was also a problem with the pump as they refueled. The great thing about having the scanner is that I can hear all this chatter and not get too freaked out. 

And at 7:54 I heard the conductor say "highball Denver" and I knew we would be good to go! Just a second later the train whistle sounded and we slowly pulled away from the platform. It was now totally dark out so I missed the sunset, but I snuggled into my roomette and prepared to watch the twinkling lights of the world pass me by. 










No comments:

Post a Comment