Saturday, March 22, 2014

Another West Coast Adventure

March is Spring Break for me, so I decided to take another visit out to Seattle to visit my sister and her family and then take the train cross country on the way home. Since I had already taken the Empire Builder (Seattle to Chicago route) and the Southwest Chief (Chicago to Los Angeles) I knew that I wanted to take the California Zephyr this time around. 

The California Zephyr (CZ) originates in Emeryville, just across the bay from San Francisco. Since I would be starting in Seattle, I would get a bonus day on the train by taking the Coast Starlight from Seattle down the coast and then connecting to the CZ in Sacramento. 

My trip is as follows:
March 23: Coast Starlight from Seattle to Sacramento
March 24: California Zephyr from Sacramento to Chicago (two nights)
March 26: Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to Boston
Queen Mary Tea Room, Seattle
I had originally planned to take the Cardinal out of Chicago while heading back east so I could try yet another train, but that train only runs three days a week and I couldn't get the scheduling to work right.

Of course I had to fly west, but I thought it would be fun to take the train to start and finish my trip. So I booked a Jet Blue flight directly from Boston to Seattle, and started my day on Thursday, March 20 with the 66 from Providence to Boston. The train arrived a few minutes early into the station, and I boarded. We had a quick 45 minute trip up into Boston and also arrived into South Station a few minutes early. I then took the silver line to Boston Logan airport to fly out west.
Playing with the "babies"
While in Seattle I have been having a fabulous time visiting with my sister. We went to tea this morning and I have enjoyed playing dolls with my niece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment