Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ruby Canyon and the Colorado River

We came into Ruby Canyon and the Colorado River was suddenly on the right hand side of the train surrounded by steep red canyon walls with rock formations. 
The sun was also blaring so unfortunately the pictures aren't the best. 
We then came out of the canyon and passed through some small towns and ranches. 
Yes that is a boat! 

Before the canyon we also went through a ghost town. 

Around 9:50 am we arrived in Grand Junction, CO and had time to get off the train for a few minutes. I visited the station store, Daves Depot, which was doing a brisk business. There was a gorgeous old station building surrounded by construction fencing. I wonder if anyone is going to renovate and restore it?
This was an extended station stop where the conductors and engineers switch to a new crew. They also watered the train and took out the trash here. 

I also took this time to get a selfie with our amazing sleeper car attendant Lamar. He is from Chicago and does whatever trains they call him for. He does everything with a smile and I keep seeing him hustling around the car making sure everyone is comfortable. I sent him my blog so if you are reading this Lamar, thanks for being awesome. I have had an assortment of attendants that range from curmudgeon to fabulous - and Lamar is on the fabulous end. That is our car - the 632 - behind us. 















2 comments:

  1. It's really easy cause I love what I do! I have the greatest job in the world. My office view always changes and I get to meet great people constantly! :-)

    ReplyDelete