Sunday, March 23, 2014

Boarding the Coast Starlight in Seattle

I woke up early on Sunday because I was so excited about my trip! The Coast starlight departs from King street Station in Seattle at 9:35 am. It was just a quick trip from my sisters house, and I got there around 8:20 am or so. 

This was my third time to this station, but the first since the renovation of the station waiting room was compled. 
The walls and ceiling of the station are covered with intricate plaster molding and shiny marble. The floors has mosaic tile. I was so impressed with the restoration of this classic train station. The city of Seattle bought the station in 2008 for $10. I am so glad that this station was not razed and lost like some others have been. 
About 45 minutes before departure, two conductors appeared at the check in counters. There was a line for sleepers and a second line for coach. I presented my ticket to the conductor and he gave me a "boarding pass" with my sleeper car number and room number. He also scanned my ticket with his device. This means that the conductors so not have to walk the train collecting tickets after boarding since they scan them all at the counter first. 
My boarding pass was just a seat check that the conductor wrote on. 

A few minutes later I saw the train backing into the station. The coach cars were on the rear. I noted three coach cars, the lounge car, dining car, pacific parkour car, two sleepers, and then a crew car (transition sleeper). This would be my first time in the crew car and I was assigned roomette #19. 

I was thrilled to see that the train was carrying the Parlour Car (PPC). 
This one was named "Olympic valley". There are only a few of these left from an old El Capitan train. 

Around 9 am they started boarding the train with sleeper passengers through gate 4 and coach passengers through gate 3. I walked down to the crew car and was greeted by my attendant Justin. He is from NH and lived in Boston for 13 years! This is also his first training run on the train. He is very nice so far. 

We pulled out of Seattle right on time at 9:35 on the dot. Justin swung by my room shortly after to offer some champagne. Now we are en route and my adventure begins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment