Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Kansas into Colorado


I returned from dinner and was surprised that my compartment hadn’t been turned into the bedtime configuration. I sat and watched the scenery for a little bit, but then it got pretty dark and there weren’t even any lights to look at. I went in search of the SCA, who I hadn’t seen since boarding. His compartment is right across from the little coffee and juice display on the upper level of the car. He wasn’t there, and I didn’t see him down the hall or on the lower level. I figured that I could probably set up the bed myself, and I was right – I could! I pushed on the levers underneath my seat to pull it out, then pulled down the upper bunk to snag the mattress (which was pre-made with blankets and sheets) and put it on top. Voila!

I climbed into bed just as we were pulling into Kansas City, MO. We were alerted by the conductor that we would be sitting there for about an hour, and that we would have time to go into the station. I probably should have taken the time to get out and look around, but I was already in my pajamas. I drifted off to sleep – with my earplugs in, of course. I didn’t sleep as well this night as the first night as the ride seemed to be a little rougher. I am not sure if that is because we are sitting higher up off the tracks in the superliner cars, or perhaps because the line isn’t maintained as well by the freight line. Either way, I woke up and wasn’t able to get back to sleep by around 7 AM central time.

I pulled back the curtains, and it was still pretty dark out. I looked east and could see just a little glimmer of sunlight starting to peak up above the horizon. I checked the GPS on my phone and saw that we were still in Kansas. I had no idea it would take us so long to cross this state! I got dressed and headed down to the dining car for breakfast. On my way there, I spotted the attendant in his room. He was sitting there with the door open. I asked if he would be able to put my room back into the daytime configuration when he had a chance, and he sort of stared at me blankly. I paused a few seconds, and he asked what room I was in. I let him know that I was in bedroom D. What a contrast between the service on this train and the cheerful and helpful Cocoa on the LSL.  I am not even sure of the SCA’s name, as he never bothered to introduce himself and he hasn’t been wearing a nametag. 

In the dining car, I was seated at a table with a couple that was probably in their 60s, and a guy about my age who was also traveling alone. The single man was just on his way back to LA after attending a 30th birthday party in New York City. What fun! He had already made the trip out east by train and was returning by train as well. He said that he hates to fly, so this was the only way to go.  The couple was on their way to New Mexico.

For breakfast I got coffee, orange juice, a cheese omelet, hash browns, a biscuit, and sausage. It was quite a bit of food, and I only ate half of it. I think I made a better choice with the French toast yesterday. The couple both got the continental breakfast which at least included some fruit. I am dying for a banana or an orange right now, or something that is at least fresh and not processed! I am not convinced that the eggs aren’t reconstituted from powder. I realized that I hadn’t yet mentioned on the blog that all of the meals are included in the price of the ticket for sleeping car passengers, so I haven’t had to pay for any of the food. Everything is included with my 50,000 point reward ticket, as long as I get it in the dining car. Anything I want from the café I would have to pay for.

We watched the full on sunrise from the dining car during breakfast, which was just beautiful. The landscape was now a prairie, with some slight hills. I saw lots of cattle grazing in the brown and tan grasses. I went back to my bedroom to relax and watch the scenery, when the conductor came on the intercom with an announcement. She pointed out a breathtaking dam on the north side of the train, and explained that it had been built by the Army Corps of Engineers. I got a couple good pictures of it, as well as of the large basin/reservoir that it made. Additionally, I saw what appeared to be either gazelle or deer jumping through the grass near the dam.

We rolled on into Colorado, and the train staff made an announcement that we would now be on Mountain Time. So while it is only 9 AM as I am typing this, I very much feel like I am still on Eastern Time. I thought it might be easy to adjust to the time changes as I slowly made my way across the country, but since I have been getting up early it is has been a little more difficult. I will try to sleep in a little later tomorrow and see if that helps!

About an hour after breakfast, we pulled into La Junta, CO. We actually arrived early, and because the train can’t leave until the scheduled departure time, we sat here for about 40 minutes. This was an official “smoke break” as the conductor announced it, so we were encouraged to exit the train but to not stray too far.  I was able to get out and walk up and down the platform and take some more pictures of the actual train. I was also able to count the cars in the consist. They are engine – engine – baggage car – trans/dorm – sleeper – sleeper – dining car – lounge – coach – coach – coach.  

The station here was also very small. I was hoping for a newsstand so I could grab a newspaper and a ginger ale, but all that was present was a little waiting room and some soda machines. Across the street from the station was a little park with a red BNSF caboose and some railroad crossing signs. It was cute! Some entrepreneurial locals had also set up some tables on the platform with some items for sale including used paperbacks for $0.50 to $1.00 and jewelry. One of the sellers said that his stuff was “handmade Native American”, but it looked nothing like the items that I saw for sale in Santa Fe by actual Native Americans.  So I returned to the train without a New York Times, but hopefully my internet will be strong enough for me to read it online.

We are now rolling through Colorado and the landscape is sort of prairie/desert. There are short brown grasses with spurts of green bushes as well as some cactus present. I have also seen a few flat topped mesas rise up from the flat countryside.  We keep passing dry creeks and streambeds with little bridges over them. I wonder if there is a rainy season later in the year when they are full. Right now our train is running parallel to US route 350, and we just passed the “Pinon Canyon Army Maneuver site.” There was a giant tank up on blocks sitting outside of it.

In a little bit, I will attempt to shower on the train. My shower is above the toilet, so it looks like it might be tricky. There is a bigger shower downstairs that is for all of the passengers in my sleeping car, so I might check that out to see if it is better. Fun times! I will try to post some pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment