Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Possible "Bustitution"

Traveling by amtrak is always an adventure - and for me, the adventure is starting before I have even left!

Today I was alerted to a possible problem with my trip by a fellow poster on an Amtrak message board that I frequent. He noted that there was presently an alert at amtrak.com noting that due to flooding on the tracks, passengers will be bussed between Boston and Albany on train 449, the Lake Shore Limited Boston section, until March 25th.

I surfed over to amtrak.com and found the same alert. Yikes!

Well, my idea of a cross country train trip doesn't involve a bus section, so I called Amtrak to see if they could put me on a regional train to New York City (Penn Station), and then hopefully I could board the New York Section of the Lake Shore Limited (train #49) there. Luckily (I think), I am currently booked on the Boston sleeper only until Albany, and then will be switching the New York sleeper in Albany.

After waiting on hold for 23 minutes, the friendly agent told me that the message on the web was there in error, and that they expect 449 to be running by the 17th or 18th. He told me to call back on the 18th to confirm. I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point! Let's hoping the tracks don't look like this at the end of the week:


Either way, it will be an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read all about your trip!! Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOOOOO Jealous... My first trip isn't until June... But thank you for allowing me to "join" you on your trip :-D

    ReplyDelete