Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Mexico


So, let’s just say taking a shower in a little closet with your toilet behind you is tricky. But, my mission is accomplished and it’s amazing how refreshed I felt after showering. When I got out of the shower, I noticed that we had started to move into the mountains. The dessert gave way to scruffy pinon pines and bushes. This landscape reminds me of the area near Taos, New Mexico, where I went with my family a few years ago, but also reminded me of the landscape between Bozeman, Montana & Yellowstone National Park, where I worked during the summer of 2001.

After a relaxing morning watching the landscape, Pauline came by to take lunch reservations. I chose 12:30 PM. I was also able to jump out of the train briefly at Raton, New Mexico. The Raton pass is apparently a very famous way to get through the mountains. There was a lovely train station with a southwest architectural style to it, but we were warned that we didn’t have time to go into the station. Still no New York Times for me! I got some pictures, and it was actually quite cold so I hopped back on the train.

I headed down to the dining car when they called for the 12:30 PM reservation folks. I was seated with Gerry and Kay, an older married couple from California. Gerry and Kay have taken several trains and gave me some great advice on what to look for on the Coast Starlight over the next two days. They also encouraged me to take the Empire Builder and the California Zephyr at some point. Gerry was retired air force, and even spent some time living in Vineland, NJ! What a small world. Gerry and Kay were wonderful dining partners, and a very cute couple. They had been married for 45 years, and currently they live off the grid in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. They use solar energy (with a backup generator, just in case) and a solar heater for their water. Very cool.

I ordered the angus steak burger, which Pauline, the LSA, claimed was the best burger in the west. Well, it was not bad, but definitely not the best burger in the West. That prize, in my humble opinion, still goes to Helen’s in Gardiner, MT (and its bison!). Pauline also entertained the car with several very funny jokes during my time in the dining car. After we finished eating, Pauline offered us dessert, too.  They give you so much food on the train! I got the raspberry sorbet, but I was good and only ate half of it.

Now I am back watching the landscape roll by. I saw some people riding horses out the window, and also what appeared to be a cowboy with a dog herding some cattle! The views are great, and I am continuing to thoroughly enjoy my great adventure across America on the rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment