Sunday, March 13, 2011

Providence to New York and back - a preview trip

I took a quick trip down to New York City this weekend, and of course traveled by my preferred method, Amtrak Acela.

Friday morning I took the Acela 2155 from Providence to New York. My journey started the night before, however, where I turned in a one class upgrade coupon to the station agent and walked out with a first class ticket. My husband received these coupons earlier the week because he is an Amtrak Select member. He got three of them, and I will definitely be using all of them during the year.

The train arrived on time in Providence, and the first class car was at the end of the train. There were two businessmen that also boarded in Providence, and the car was about 2/3 full. I luckily snagged the only remaining single seat, but sadly it was on the westbound side of the train so I wasn't able to watch the ocean as we made our way south through Rhode Island and into Connecticut.

There were two male car attendants. Their service was polite, and they came to drop off a menu and take my order shortly after boarding. I ordered the bacon and cheddar scone with sausage as well as some hot coffee, which was delivered within 30 minutes.  The attendants sat and read the newspaper for a big chunk of the trip and did not walk through the car offering refills on drinks. I did get a New York Times to read during the trip, as well.

There was a short delay someplace in Connecticut, and we rolled into Penn Station about 15 minutes late. I snapped this picture of the NYC skyline on the approach into the city.

I had an amazing weekend in NYC with two of my dearest friends from high school, and a great lunch with a group of women I met online. We went to the Top of the Rock, which had excellent views, 360 degrees, of Manhattan.

For dinner on Friday, we went to DBGB, which is the newest restaurant by Daniel Boulud. The bone marrow was delicious, and I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced Daniel Boulud eatery.




We went to a few speakeasy type bars after dinner. The first was called the Backroom, and it was Prohibition themed with cocktails in tea cups. My cocktail was bourbon and honey - delicious!

We also went to Lovers of Tomorrow, and I had a cocktail there that included blackberry preserves. So yummy!

For dinner on Saturday we went to Colicchio & Sons, the newest Tom Colicchio (from Top Chef fame) restaurant in New York. We had bone marrow (again!), and I also had the TC burger with chips. The burger was perhaps one of the best I have had in quite some time. However, after this weekend of bone marrow and burgers I will definitely need to be eating salad for weeks!



I returned to Penn Station for my trip on the Acela 2252 on Sunday. I got there about half an hour early and waited in the Club Acela. I had called to reserve my upgrade earlier that morning, and picked up my ticket at the Club Acela and asked for a redcap to help me with my bags. This is the best thing to do if you want to get a choice seat on the train, as the redcap will bring you down to the platform before the general boarding call. I got on the car early and selected a single seat towards the back of the car. Unfortunately it was not on the water side this time as well, but I knew that the train was going to be full.

There were two car attendants, June and Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson greeted every guest by name as he collected tickets in the first class car. Mr. Johnson offered polite service throughout the trip, and flattered me by carding me when I ordered a cocktail. He seemed to really go the extra effort and offered some service flourishes that reminded me of the romantic rail travel of eras gone by. He made clever announcements throughout the first class car - reminding folks to not be annoying on their cell phones since the car was very full - and brought all of our luggage onto the platform for all of the detraining passengers in Providence.  However, he did forget to bring me a cocktail refill which I specifically requested, which was a little disappointing.  I had the lasagna for lunch this time, along with some jack & ginger and some sparkling water.


Acela First Class Car

We had a smooth ride and pulled into Providence two minutes early.  I had a great trip, and it just made me all the more excited for my adventure. I leave in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment